Starting this week, every Sunday I will be doing a weekly blog talking about everything I have been up to, my favourite music that week and anything exciting I can think of. This week seemed like the perfect week to start as it’s been amazing and music-filled! I’ve been to watch two gigs, performed myself, booked tickets for more gigs and started my first Spotify playlist as a verified artist…busy, busy times! Without further ado, here is the rundown of the past week (8th April to 14th April)!
MONDAY: I spent most of the day rehearsing for my gig on Saturday and getting the loops sorted for my new songs, ‘Warning’ and ‘Shackles’!
TUESDAY: I attend music college every Tuesday and I had a super productive day as I made loads of progress on my first self-produced track, which is called ‘Alive’. I have been working on the song on Logic for quite a while and am aiming to create really fun but relaxing summer song about running away and staying young…. so we’ll see how that goes!
WEDNESDAY: Wednesday was a great day as I managed to record a cover for ‘Cover Wednesdays’ on my YouTube channel. The song I picked was ‘There’s Nothing Holding Me Back’ by Shawn Mendes. I had heard it the day before, instantly loved it and knew that it was the right song to try and cover.
That evening, I went to a fabulous event in Manchester organised by Punch Records called, ‘Welcome To My City’! The gig featured five amazing artists: Gambimi, Sub Blue, Kizzy Crawford, Nipah and Tobi Sunmola. It was great to watch such talented artists do their thing and show off their talent. I enjoyed having the opportunity to network a little too!
Check out Tobi Sunmola performing his amazing track ‘Run Free’!
THURSDAY: On Thursday I had more rehearsals, bought my tickets to see Gorillaz (Yayyyyyyy!!!) and also set up my first ‘Artist Playlist’ on Spotify. I got verified on Spotify last week so it was really excited to finally make a playlist on my artist page showing what I’m currently listening to! The playlist is called ‘Thursday Twenty’ and is simply twenty songs that I’m loving each week… updated every Thursday! This week’s picks were:
- Waters by Gambimi – I loved this song when he performed it live at ‘Welcome To My City’… such a chilled and romantic vibe!
- Committed by Sub Blue – Another favourite from the event on Wednesday… a great live performer too!
- Lead Me Down by Sally Caitlin – I felt like I should include one of my songs in my first ever playlist!
- There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back by Shawn Mendes
- Old Friends by Jasmine Thompson – I heard it on the Grey’s Anatomy soundtrack and fell in love with the relatable lyrics!
- Hot Blood by Kaleo – Obsessed with this song and the whole album to be honest… just a must listen if you like a bit of rock that isn’t that heavy!
- Breathe by Astrid S – Big Astrid S fan… she makes the sort of modern alternative pop which I think has a really fresh sound.
- 1998 by Chet Faker & Banks – As the ultimate Banks fangirl I kind of had to include her, but this track with Chet Faker is a lot more summery and softer than her usual offerings.
- Quit You by Lost Kings & Tinashe
- Not Going Home by DVBBS
- It Ain’t Me (Tiesto’s AFTR:HRS Remix) by Kygo & Selena Gomez
- Run Free by Tobi Sunmola – Amazing song by a new Manchester based artist… his voice is like Louis Armstrong crossed with Howlin’ Wolf!
- Wherever You Go by TRXD ft. Hilde
- Wicked Games by The Weeknd – Rediscovered this song and my love for it after playing it on piano again last week… still my favourite song by The Weeknd!
- No Promises by Cheat Codes ft. Demi Lovato
- Want You Back by HAIM – I love HAIM and their cool brand of alternative pop with catchy hooks and this is the perfect sunny day driving song!
- Places by Martin Solveig
- Feels (Jai Wolf Remix) by Kiiara
- No Don by LottoBoyzz
- You Don’t Know Me by Jax Jones ft. Raye
FRIDAY: Literally the best day ever as my dream of seeing my ultimate idol, John Mayer, in concert came true! He was absolutely incredible and did not disappoint me at all, despite me having exceedingly high expectations! He didn’t play my favourite song, ‘I Don’t Trust Myself Loving You’, however, he did play ‘Edge Of Desire’, which is my second favourite! Managed to get myself some sweet merch, which I haven’t taken off much since the gig! Just an unbelievable night and a dream come true!
SATURDAY: On Saturday I, myself, was gigging at Gullivers in Manchester! I performed some of my original songs for the first time with my loop pedal, drum pad and my acoustic guitarist, Keenan. Really enjoyed performing and sharing some brand new material, despite being slightly under the weather and completely losing my voice after the show!
SUNDAY: Rest, recuperation and planning for next week!
I hope you have enjoyed this little insight into my day to day life…. I promise next week won’t be quite as long! Thank you for reading 🙂